[Lingtyp] language typology, linguistic typology, comparative linguistics

Martin Haspelmath haspelmath at shh.mpg.de
Wed Feb 28 05:59:51 UTC 2018

Yes, in the past (before Greenberg), "comparative linguistics" was
primarily used for historical-genealogical linguistics, but this use
seems to be long obsolete (as I note in my blogpost:
https://dlc.hypotheses.org/1022).

At MPI-SHH in Jena where I work now (perhaps currently the best-funded
place where people are engaged in historical-genealogical studies),
people use terms like "evolutionary linguistics" or "phylogenetic
linguistics".

Incidentally, there is no difference between "comparative linguistics"
and "vergleichende Sprachwissenschaft" -- the latter was used for
historical-genealogical linguistics, but is now obsolete in this sense.
Balthasar Bickel uses it in the broader sense that I have suggested.

But there is an English-German contrast in that nobody uses
"linguistische Typologie" -- this sounds like a different meaning is
intended, namely "typology of linguistics"; and who knows, maybe this is
intended by the shift from "language typology" (= typology of
languages?) to "linguistic typology" (= typology in linguistics?).

Martin