[Lingtyp] Coexpression of source and agent

Eitan Grossman eitan.grossman at mail.huji.ac.il
Mon Jul 23 03:18:34 UTC 2018

Hi all,

I don't share Daniel's (and others') reservations about the term
'coexpress(ion).'

First of all, it's handy to have a verb that can be predicated of a noun
referring to a linguistic item ("Hebrew le- coexpresses goal and
recipient"), which isn't the case for 'polyfunctional(ity)' or the like,
which is unwieldy at best ("Hebrew le- is polyfunctional with respect to"
or "The polyfunctionality of Hebrew le- includes"). Also, when the subject
is singular, there isn't much room for misinterpretation, so the intended
reading is easily coerced even if the reader is unfamiliar with the term.

Second, the term already exists in biology in the context of genes, where
coexpression means 'the simultaneous expression of two or more genes.' If
the analogy here is between genes and meanings/senses, and 'simultaneous'
is taken to mean 'associated with the same signifier,' then it works all
right. I'm sure that it is easy to pick apart the analogy, of course. But
interestingly, geneticists have been making coexpression maps of genes,
which may be comparable to our semantic maps.

Finally, as others have pointed out, the terms 'colexify' and
'colexification' are already pretty established in lexical typology, so
'coexpression' is not itself a big innovation.

Eitan

Eitan Grossman
Lecturer, Department of Linguistics/School of Language Sciences
Hebrew University of Jerusalem
Tel: +972 2 588 3809
Fax: +972 2 588 1224