[Lingtyp] action nominal construction

Nigel Vincent nigel.vincent at manchester.ac.uk
Wed Jul 25 13:34:05 UTC 2018

Dear All,
I would be grateful for suggestions of recent literature on what Masha in her classic work 'Nominalizations' (1993) calls 'action nominal constructions' (ANCs), in particular when such constructions fulfil the role of a finite verbal complement as in the contrast between 'he reported the enemy's destruction of the city' vs 'he reported that the enemy had destroyed the city'. All suggestions gratefully received. Either post the responses here or email me privately. I'll provide a summary of the responses in due course.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Nigel

Professor Nigel Vincent, FBA MAE
Professor Emeritus of General & Romance Linguistics
The University of Manchester

Linguistics & English Language
School of Arts, Languages and Cultures
The University of Manchester