[Lingtyp] references on null subject

Randy J. LaPolla randy.lapolla at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 04:56:33 UTC 2018

Hi Maïa,
For completeness’ sake, you should include the follow great early article, in 1975 arguing for a functionalist/explanatory account of the form of pronouns and pronominalization, including “null” subjects like in “Equi-NP deletion":

Heath, Jeffrey. 1975. Functional relationships in grammar. Language 51.1: 89-104.

Historical note: This article was influential in the development of Role and Reference Grammar.

Randy
-----
Randy J. LaPolla, PhD FAHA (羅仁地)
Professor of Linguistics and Chinese, School of Humanities
Nanyang Technological University
HSS-03-45, 14 Nanyang Drive | Singapore 637332
http://randylapolla.net/
Most recent book:
https://www.routledge.com/The-Sino-Tibetan-Languages-2nd-Edition/LaPolla-Thurgood/p/book/9781138783324