[Lingtyp] Does bipolar polysemy exist?

Maia Ponsonnet maia.ponsonnet at uwa.edu.au
Thu May 31 12:01:08 UTC 2018

I certainly see the nuance between "not X" and "antonym (X)", as the latter is really quite common

As for the former, as a native speaker of French "inquiète-toi" vs "t'inquiète" doesn't work for me.

In the latter the negation is simply elided, and this is flagged by the "t'". The full form "t'inquiète pas" is still very common and even if the short form became opaque, the reflexive instead of full O pronoun would be a clear difference in my opinion ?

Cheers, Maïa

Dr Maïa Ponsonnet
Senior Lecturer in Linguistics
ARC Discovery Early Career Researcher Fellow

Social Sciences Building, Room 2.47
Faculty of Arts, Business, Law and Education
The University of Western Australia
35 Stirling Hwy, Perth, WA (6009), Australia
P.  +61 (0) 8 6488 2870 - M.  +61 (0) 468 571 030