[Lingtyp] Does bipolar polysemy exist?

zamponi_raoul at libero.it zamponi_raoul at libero.it
Thu May 31 14:15:15 UTC 2018

Dear Ian,
in the Italian linguistic tradition, this phenomenon is called "enantiosemia" (cf. enantiosemy in Prof. Koptjevskaja Tamm's message) and an interesting article about it (with various examples), by Giulio Lepschy, appears in this Italian dictionary of Linguistics (pp. 273-74): Dizionario di linguistica e di filologia, metrica, retorica, ed. by G. L. Beccaria. Turin: Einaudi (various editions since 1994). This phenomenon attracted also Sigmund Freud's attention (Über den Gegensinn der Urworte, 1910:https://www.textlog.de/freud-psychoanalyse-gegensinn-urworte.html). Freud found in bipolar polysemy a confirm to his hypotheses on the nature of the unconscious ...
Best,
Raoul