[Lingtyp] Does bipolar polysemy exist?

David Gil gil at shh.mpg.de
Thu May 31 18:43:40 UTC 2018

Yes, as Matti points out, negative lexicalization is not quite as rare
as I was implying.  Yet at the same time, I suspect that it might not be
as common as Matti is suggesting.  Looking at the examples that he cites
in his Handbook chapter, I suspect that in some cases, the negative
counterpart isn't "just" negative, but is also associated with some
additional meaning components.

Matti doesn't list "good"/"bad" as being such a pair, though, citing
work by Ulrike Zeshan on sign languages, he does mention other
evaluative concepts such as "not right", "not possible", "not enough".
in English, at least, "bad" is not the negation of "good", it is the
antonym of "good"; there's all kind of stuff in the world which we
attach no evaluative content to, and which hence is neither good nor
bad. (It's true that in English, in many contexts, the expression "not
good" is understood as meaning "bad", which is interesting in and of
itself, but still, it is not necessarily understood in this way.) While
I have no direct evidence, I would strongly suspect that in languages
that have lexicalized expressions for "not right", "not possible", and
"not enough", the meanings of these expressions will be the antonyms of
"right", "possible" and "enough", and not their negations.

Under lexicalized negatives in the domain of tense/aspect, Matti lists
"will not", "did not", "not finished".  Well the one case that I am
familiar with that falls into this category is that of the
Malay/Indonesian iamative/perfect marker "sudah", which has a
lexicalized negative counterpart "belum".  However, "belum" isn't just
"not sudah"; it also bears a strong (if not invariant) implicature that
at some point in the future, the state or activity that is not complete
will be completed — in fact, just like the English expression "not
yet".  (When people in Indonesia ask you if you're married, it's
considered impolite to answer with a simple negation "tidak"; you're
supposed to say "belum" precisely because of its implicature that you
will, in the future, get married.  By avoiding this implicature, the
simple negation "tidak" is viewed as a threat to the natural order of
things, in which everybody should get married.)

I suspect that many if not all of the cases characterized by Matti as
"lexicalized negatives" will turn out to be associated with some
additional meaning component beyond that of "mere" negation.