[Lingtyp] Universal trend: biclausal -> monoclausal?

Martin Haspelmath haspelmath at shh.mpg.de
Fri Nov 30 13:38:06 UTC 2018

I don't have access to Sheehan's paper (it's behind a paywall), but if
she offers "a range of tests", then that's precisely the problem:

The very notion of a "test" (or diagnostic, or symptom) presupposes that
there is some deep reality of "monoclausality" vs. "biclausality" – in
other words, a natural kind or innate category.

As long as we don't have very good evidence that such distinctions are
part of human nature, we need to operate with *definitions*, not with
symptoms. (Doctors identify diseases on the basis of diagnostics or
symptoms, but this makes sense only if they know that these diseases are
part of nature, and not idiosyncratic to each patient.)

Balthasar Bickel has a discussion of some of these issues in this 2010
paper:

Bickel, Balthasar. 2010. Capturing particulars and universals in clause
linkage: A multivariate analysis. In Isabelle Bril (ed.),
/Clause-hierarchy and clause-linking: the syntax and pragmatics
interface/, 51–102. Amsterdam: Benjamins.

Best,
Martin