[Lingtyp] Temporal features?

Claire Bowern clairebowern at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 13:22:34 UTC 2018

A further method is to sample densely in unrelated areas that include both
hunter-gatherers and agriculturalists, as colleagues and I did for our
hunter-gatherer languages project. See, for example

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0025195
[loan patterns: hunter-gatherers aren't that different]
https://www.degruyter.com/view/j/lity.2012.16.issue-1/lity-2012-0002/lity-2012-0002.xml
[numeral complexity: it's complicated]
http://www.bioone.org/doi/abs/10.2993/0278-0771-34.2.195 [ethnobiological
nomenclature: hunter-gatherers are variable]
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2215039014000022
[Wanderwörter: it's complicated]
http://www.pnas.org/content/113/48/13666.short [color in Pama-Nyungan, a
large family of hunter-gatherers; color nomenclature is variable]

I also wrote a survey paper of the issues:
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/j.1749-818X.2010.00220.x

Though I'm not sure we ever said this explicitly in this project, the
overall impression I got from coding and analyzing all this data was that
the sample of hunter-gatherers was more variable than intensive
agriculturalists, but not necessarily more so than small-scale
agriculturalists. Certainly none of the claims that hunter-gatherer
languages share features as a group distinct from agriculturalists is
impossible to maintain.

Claire

--

Claire Bowern