[Lingtyp] query: "animal"

Daniel Ross djross3 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 13 18:50:29 UTC 2018

David (and others),

As already indicated by some replies, English is not that simple. In fact,
there is a huge amount of variation between speakers. As a child I was
interested in reading about animals (encyclopedias, etc.) and going to
zoos, and for me personally the wide, encompassing definition (all the way
through sponges!) would apply. But I remember being in disagreements with
other speakers who don't find insects (or 'lower' groups) to count, and
some don't even count fish. It seems that the definition operates as a
prototype, with some speakers accepting a wider group (in effect radiating
down the hierarchy) and others keeping the narrower prototypical group,
maybe even just synonymous with "mammals" for some. Some survey research on
the exact distribution (with a very large sample, including different
education levels, etc.) would be warranted here to make any strong
generalizations. There's also a puzzle at the other end of the hierarchy,
where humans are technically animals but many are reluctant to mention or
even accept that. At the same time, many or most speakers probably
recognize that there is a technical definition, so this is also a question
of register/context, and it might be variable within speakers. It would
also be worth looking at other similar terms like "bug" in English, which
to me is essentially synonymous with "insect" (and I guess including other
land-arthorpods), but for some speakers I think would extend further. As
you asked, David, trying to find terms for other parts of the hierarchy is
relevant.

Thanks for sharing an interesting question!

Daniel