[Lingtyp] literature on "wh-movement"/constituent interrogatives

Adam James Ross Tallman ajrtallman at utexas.edu
Mon Oct 22 21:48:06 UTC 2018

I'm looking at structural differences between constituent interrogative
sentences and minimally contrastive non-interrogative counterparts. The
vast majority of the literature is in the generative tradition under the
guise of wh-movement. I was wondering whether anyone point me to functional
and/or typological literature that stick closer to the surface?

(Recommendations for particularly good literature in the generative
tradition are also welcome)

I'm especially interested in the issue of extracting constituent
interrogatives out of subordinate clauses. The reason is that I am dealing
with constructions that I think are indeterminate between monoclausal vs.
biclausal analyses. I found out that they had restrictions on the type of
constituent interrogatives they are compatible with and I am wondering
whether this actually serves as an argument that they are biclausal.

best,

Adam

--
Adam J.R. Tallman