[Lingtyp] QUEST: Lexical meaning of the verb and relativization

Randy J. LaPolla randy.lapolla at gmail.com
Sun Dec 8 05:29:35 UTC 2019

Dear Ksenia,
In terms of "cases where one and the same participial form can be used to relativize a wide range of arguments”, you might take a look at the papers in the book edited by      Yoshiko Matsumoto, Bernard Comrie, & Peter Sells, Noun-Modifying Clause Constructions in Languages of Eurasia: Reshaping theoretical and geographical boundaries. Amsterdam & Philadelphia: John Benjamins Pub. Co., 2017.

Japanese has been talked about by Yoshiko Matsumoto as using the same construction for many sorts of arguments or topics that cannot be relativised in other languages, and this was the motivation for the volume. Chinese is an extreme example of this type. See my paper in the volume (www.randylapolla.info/Papers/LaPolla-Noun-modifying_clause_constructions_in_Sino-Tibetan_languages.pdf <http://www.randylapolla.info/Papers/LaPolla-Noun-modifying_clause_constructions_in_Sino-Tibetan_languages.pdf> ).

All the best,
Randy
-----
Randy J. LaPolla, PhD FAHA (羅仁地)
Professor of Linguistics, with courtesy appointment in Chinese, School of Humanities
Nanyang Technological University
HSS-03-45, 48 Nanyang Avenue | Singapore 639818
http://randylapolla.net/
Most recent books:
The Sino-Tibetan Languages, 2nd Edition (2017)
https://www.routledge.com/The-Sino-Tibetan-Languages-2nd-Edition/LaPolla-Thurgood/p/book/9781138783324 <https://www.routledge.com/The-Sino-Tibetan-Languages-2nd-Edition/LaPolla-Thurgood/p/book/9781138783324>
Sino-Tibetan Linguistics (2018)
https://www.routledge.com/Sino-Tibetan-Linguistics/LaPolla/p/book/9780415577397 <https://www.routledge.com/Sino-Tibetan-Linguistics/LaPolla/p/book/9780415577397>