[Lingtyp] LSA presidential address from 1993

Arnold M. Zwicky zwicky at stanford.edu
Fri Dec 20 00:52:45 UTC 2019

I've been working on a posting about my 1992 LSA Presidential Address (delivered in January 1993 at the Biltmore in Los Angeles), "Mapping the ordinary into the rare: Basic/derived reasoning in theory construction", and find that my computer files are in a format that's now virtually inaccessible and that all my paper files seem to have been destroyed. My memory for what I said 27 years ago is very hazy, so I'm hoping, somewhat desperately, that someone stashed away a copy of my (pretty detailed) handout and can now make it available to me. I *can* reconstruct a version of the joke that began the talk, but the rest of it, about basic/derived vs. default/override conceptual frameworks (in linguistics, but also in sexuality studies), is now pretty dim. All leads (sent to zwicky at stanford.edu) appreciated.

arnold