[Lingtyp] complex postpositions

Hartmut Haberland hartmut at ruc.dk
Sun Feb 3 08:45:49 UTC 2019

Dear Nigel, I do not know if you have looked into Japanese (a grammar or even a dictionary should be enough). Japanese has a very small set of simple postpositions that express what is most conveniently compared to grammatical case (topic, subject, direct object, benefactive, genitive, instrumental) and very few that express temporal (when?) or local relations (comparable to Finnish inessive, ablative, and illative/allative). Everything else has to be expressed by a combination of GenitivePostp+N+InessivePostp like on = in top of, under = in bottom of, after = in behind of, etc. That always struck me as interesting.
Med venlig hilsen
Hartmut
Professor emeritus
[RUC]

Roskilde Universitet
Institut for Kommunikation og Humanistisk Videnskab
Universitetsvej 1
DK-4000 Roskilde