[Lingtyp] head-initial double-marked possessives

Eitan Grossman eitan.grossman at mail.huji.ac.il
Thu Feb 28 21:23:01 UTC 2019

This type of construction is common in Semitic languages, although there is
a lot of variation in the extent to which such constructions are
productive/frequent in the various languages.

(Mishnaic) Hebrew  yad-o ʃel ʕani [hand-3sgm of poor.msg] 'the hand of a
poor man'

There are some nice glossed examples (the above one included) in an article
by Na'ama Pat-El, where she calls such constructions "proleptic genitive."
https://brill.com/view/journals/jlc/6/2/article-p313_6.xml

If you are interested, this is a favorite topic of Semitists, and one could
track down rather a lot of literature.

Best,
Eitan