[Lingtyp] Verbs of success with dative subject

Martin Haspelmath haspelmath at shh.mpg.de
Sat Jan 5 07:12:59 UTC 2019

I think that Ilja Serz(ant is right: A term like "dative experiencer"
would be better for constructions like:

à Sasha tout lui réussissait (French, cited by Jocelyne Fernandez-Vest)
to Sasha all to-her succeeded

Calling the dative experiencer (à Sasha) a "non-canonical (dative)
subject" here (maybe on the basis of its pre-verbal position) is
confusing, because there are no limits to what could be called a
"non-canonical subject" -- one might propose, for example, to call
inanimate objects in Spanish non-canonical subjects because they are
subject-like in that they lack an object-marking preposition.

Spike says that the question "what is a non-canonical subject in
theory?" is ultimately necessary, but I don't think so. An explanatory
theory might not make use of the notion "subject" at all (and instead
rely on more fine-grained parameters), let alone the notion of
"non-canonical subject".

What we do need is a general definition of the *term* subject", because
we use it all the time anyway and it would be best if we used it
uniformly. Nobody disputes that the transitive A-argument and the
intransitive S-argument are subjects, so I think it's best to say that
"subject" is "A or S" (as in Dixon 1994). Since A, S and P are defined
in terms of their coding properties (Haspelmath 2011), this means that a
dative-marked argument is never a subject (since A/S are by definition
nominative/absolutive- or ergative-marked).

It is interesting, of course, that some non-A/S arguments share some
behavioural properties with A/S arguments, but behavioural properties
are extremely diverse and are not a good basis for terminology.
Pre-verbal order is extremely common when an argument is the only
animate argument of a predicate, so dative experiencers will very often
be subject-like in this regard -- but do we want to call this a "subject
property" in view of the fact that inanimate S-arguments often occur in
a later position? It seems that word order is more driven by animacy and
specificity than by semantic/syntactic role. It seems best to define
subject/S/A by argument coding (flagging and indexing), not by
behavioural properties.

Martin

On 04.01.19 17:22, Spike Gildea wrote:
> First, I thank everyone for sharing  examples of dative subjects with
> predicates of success. Alongside the expected examples in
> Indo-European languages of the Slavic, Romance, Germanic, and Indic
> families, examples were proposed from Causasian languages in general
> (with Akhvakh as an example), North Saami and Finnish (Uralic), Hebrew
> (Semitic), and Japhug (Tibeto-Burman) --- while there are at least
> examples outside of IE, this is not a particularly robust
> cross-linguistic attestation of the phenomenon. I originally posted
> the query because I am aware of no examples in the non-canonical
> case-marking languages of South America, and it is interesting that
> nobody has mentioned examples from the language families of North
> America or Austronesia
> that are known for semantic alignment.
>
> Second, with regard to Ilja's query, there is a long tradition of
> disputing the use of the term "subject" for apparent primary arguments
> that do not bear the canonical case-marking of subjects in a given
> language, in particular for analyses of "dative subjects". Much of
> Jóhanna's own work (particularly Eythorsson & Barðdal 2005, Barðdal &
> Eyth?órsson 2012) participates in this dispute, in that she has
> consistently used a range of syntactic tests to distinguish dative
> subjects from non-subject dative experiencers, such as order, raising,
> reflexivization (both long-distance and clause-bound), control
> infinitives, and conjunction reduction. The disputes arise from the
> fact that these syntactic tests do not give consistent results, even
> in closely related Germanic languages like Icelandic, where all such
> tests show that the only distinction between nominative subjects and
> non-canonical subjects is case-marking and verb agreement, and German
> (which is more akin to the range of other European languages), where
> only a subset of the tests syntactically align potential dative
> subjects with nominative subjects. It is true that different
> theoretical perspectives interpret this phenomenon differently, and in
> particular, some prefer to privilege the term "subject" as a
> theoretical label that should not be assigned on the basis of some
> (non-specific) subset of "subject tests".
>
> In this query, I was hoping to finesse the (ultimately necessary)
> question of "what is a non-canonical subject in theory?" and its
> operational correlate "which criteria should count most in identifying
> them?" That is, I hoped just to use the term "dative subject" as a
> shorthand by which colleagues might recognize constructions in
> individual languages that show a combination of properties that would
> then constitute potentially interesting cases for follow-up. I could
> re-formulate the query in more precise terms as follows: we are
> looking for indications of languages for which (i) predicates of
> success mark the "succeeder" as a dative (or other non-canonical case
> [...]

Martin Haspelmath (haspelmath at shh.mpg.de)
Max Planck Institute for the Science of Human History
Kahlaische Strasse 10
D-07745 Jena
&
Leipzig University