[Lingtyp] Polarity-reversing particle

Åshild Næss ashild.nass at iln.uio.no
Mon Jan 7 14:57:35 UTC 2019

Dear Elena,

the Oceanic language Äiwoo (Solomon Islands) has a particle with this function (thanks for teaching me the term 'polarity-reversing particle', it's noted for future use!). Its form is bä [bæ], contrasting with negative ba, and it can be used to reverse the polarity of both positive and negative questions:

Mu-waamou?
2MIN-quarrel
'Did you argue?'

Bä, ba me-waamou=gu
REV NEG 1AUG-quarrel=NEG
'No, we didn't argue.'

Ba-ngä mi-ku-wä ngä stoa?
NEG-yet 2MIN-IPFV-go to store
'Haven't you gone to the store yet?'

Bä, i-wä=to
REV 1MIN-go=ASP
'Yes, I've gone.'

Best,

Åshild

Åshild Næss

Professor i lingvistikk/Professor of Linguistics
Email: ashild.nass at iln.uio.no
Tel. (+47) 22 84 40 93
Kontor/Office: HW531

Institutt for lingvistiske og nordiske studier
Postboks 1102 Blindern
0317 Oslo