[Lingtyp] PhD-position in Linguistic Typology (reported speech) at the University of Helsinki

Spronck, Stef stef.spronck at helsinki.fi
Thu Jan 10 12:38:39 UTC 2019

Dear colleagues,

The University of Helsinki is advertising a PhD-position in Linguistic Typology (deadline 15th February). I would be grateful if you could bring this to the attention of any suitable candidates you might know!

The position is fully funded for three years and involves a typological study into the following phenomenon: cross-linguistically, structures roughly of the type as in mock example (1) have been shown to carry a wide variety of meanings.

  1.  The child said: "I will eat"

Apart from the interpretation that "I will eat" is a reported locution, languages can use the same (or a very similar) structure for expressing the meaning 'The child *thought*: "I will eat"', 'The child *wanted* to eat', or even 'The child *was about to* eat', in addition to other meanings. Examples of this kind have been described in many excellent language-specific and regional typological studies, but a broad-scale analysis of the range of meanings and structures attested in the languages of the world is currently lacking. Filling this gap is the aim of the current PhD-project.

For more details about the project and language-specific examples illustrating the above phenomenon, see https://participationgrammar.net/emerging.

For the official announcement of the position and details about how to apply, see https://www.helsinki.fi/en/open-positions/doctoral-candidate-in-linguistics.

For any queries or suggestions, please reply to me off-list (stef.spronck[at]helsinki.fi).

Thank you very much in advance!
Stef

---
Dr Stef Spronck
Postdoctoral researcher at the University of Helsinki (HU Humanities Programme; Indigenous languages)
Research affiliate at CoEDL<http://www.dynamicsoflanguage.edu.au/>, The Australian National University and FunC<https://www.arts.kuleuven.be/ling/func>, University of Leuven
Section editor<http://www.degruyteropen.com/people/stef-spronck/> Linguistic Typology and Pragmatics at Open Linguistics<https://www.degruyter.com/view/j/opli>
https://participationgrammar.net<https://participationgrammar.net/>