[Lingtyp] Bound Roots and Affixes

Chao Li chao.li at aya.yale.edu
Thu Jan 17 04:19:41 UTC 2019

Thank you Martin for the information about Greek. So there are indeed
polymorphemic Greek words in which *bio*, for example, is used as the final
constituent, right? If so, it seems that at least some Greek roots have now
functioned more like affixes in English.

>From a crosslinguistic perspective, it is indeed desirable and even
necessary (at some level of analysis) to distinguish between affixes and
bound roots. Packard (2000, 2016a, 2016b) notes that Chinese differs from
English in its large inventory of bound roots and in its frequent use of
two bound roots to form a word. He uses “bound root words” to refer to
words consisting of either only bound roots or a combination of bound roots
and free roots. Crucially, such words do not involve any derivational
affix. In the literature on English word formation, words like *psychology*
are often labeled “neoclassical compounds” on the assumption that *psycho*
and *logy* are roots. If *psycho* and *logy* are roots at all, they are
bound roots and this actually makes *psychology* a bound root word, not
truly a compound, whose components must be existing words if we follow the
traditional definition of this concept closely.

But there is still the question of whether *psycho* and *logy* in
*psychology* are really bound roots or affixes in contemporary English. In
terms of distribution, they function like affixes as *psycho* appears
word-initially and *logy* occurs word-finally. In terms of their
denotation, they are roots if we adopt Martin’s definition of the notion of
root. So there is a conflict here if both positioning and denotation are
taken into consideration, and this brings us back to the question of how to
best distinguish between affixes and bound roots.

Best regards,

Chao

Packard, Jerome L. 2000. *The Morphology of Chinese: A Linguistic and
Cognitive Approach*. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.

Packard, Jerome L. 2016a. Chinese morphology. In Sin-wai Chan (ed.), *The
Routledge Encyclopedia of the Chinese Language*, 215-226. London & New
York: Routledge.

Packard, Jerome L. 2016b. Lexical word formation. In Chu-Ren Huang & Dingxu
Shi (eds.), *A Reference Grammar of Chinese*, 67-80. Cambridge: Cambridge
University Press.