[Lingtyp] serial verb construction (SVC)

Martin Haspelmath haspelmath at shh.mpg.de
Wed Jan 23 10:07:53 UTC 2019

It's really nice that Sasha and Bob found the time to put together such
detailed comments on my 2016 paper on the serial verb construction
(https://zenodo.org/record/225842), and it's a pity that the editor of
L&L didn't want to publish this commentary. I wish we had more
interaction of this type, so I suggested to Sasha and Bob that their
piece could be published on my blog, where I sometimes write critical
reviews myself (https://dlc.hypotheses.org/1070), and where I give space
to other views as well (in the comments section, and sometimes in
interviews, e.g. with generativist David Adger:
https://dlc.hypotheses.org/1517).

Bob and Sasha agreed with this, so here it is:
https://dlc.hypotheses.org/1683 -- anyone is welcome to comment on this
piece further.

I'm happy to learn about the first (?) (1929) occurrence of the term
SVC, as well as about the earlier literature on serial verbs in
Australian languages.

But the main point of my 2016 paper was to provide a *definition* of SVC
(which is key to formulating generalizations, as noted by Edith
Moravcsik), and the ten cross-linguistic generalizations were primarily
meant to illustrate the usefulness of the definition. I took many of
them from Sasha's earlier work, and I explicitly noted that they were
not claimed to be exceptionless. Sasha's and Bob's very careful reading
of my paper does not seem to have found that any of the generalizations
are wrong (as strong cross-linguistic tendencies), so I'm happy to see
this convergence of views.

Sasha and Bob also say that my definition is "problematic", but they
don't say how. (Sasha's new 2018 book is paywalled, so I don't have
access to it; I saw her 2018 OBO article, but this does not mention any
problems with my definition.)

What I felt was missing in Sasha's earlier work (the 2006 book and
elsewhere) was a clear definition of "serial verb construction", and I
believe that my definition is very largely compatible with her usage
(and other people's usage).

Jeffrey Heath seems to think that this whole approach (looking for
universal tendencies on the basis of comparative concepts and many
languages) is somehow "peripheral" or old-fashioned, but I don't see why
it couldn't coexist happily with the "integrative study of specific
languages". I also don't think that Bob and Sasha are not interested in
universals, or view them somehow differently from me. Especially Bob's
monumental "Basic Linguistic Theory" (3 volumes, 2010-2012) contains
many universals, even though they are not highlighted (and numbered), as
I sometimes do in my work (following Greenberg's and Hawkins's example).

It seems that the differences between my paper and Sasha & Bob's
commentary boil down to a few factual inaccuracies such as my claim that
the term SVC was "coined" by Stewart (1963) (who probably knew Balmer &
Grant 1929 and thus *adopted* their term); but even Sasha in her OBO
article says that Stewart "reintroduced" the term, so at least this
inaccuracy is rather minor.

Best wishes,
Martin

--
Martin Haspelmath (haspelmath at shh.mpg.de)
Max Planck Institute for the Science of Human History