[Lingtyp] Query about constraints on co-referential arguments in matrix clauses

Heath Jeffrey schweinehaxen at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 22 14:58:10 UTC 2019

This is a venerable discussion, and many contributions old and new mix two issues: a) which underlying categories (e.g. subject, object) in matrix and subordinate clause can be coindexed ina matrix-subordinateconstruction(such as relative clause and switch-reference, and b) which surface categories can function in this way. Many languages have valency-changing processes (passive, antipassive, applicative, …) that have one or more discourse functions in simple main clauses, but are deployed opportunistically in subordinated clauses solely to mark a specific underlying NP as the coindexed one. This is the functionalist way of describing the phenomena. It differs from the idea favored by typologists that surface constraints are what drive the phenomena, since such constraints by themselves have no functional basis and are far from being universal. What would be the point (i.e., the evolutionary motivation) for a language to require absolutive status for coindexation in switch-reference or relativization, unless this is accompanied by a seamless mechanism to allow underlying transitive subjects (which are of greater referential value than objects) to be marked?

Therefore the question for Matthew is how the starred translation *“The dog, who is big, will bite that man” is expressed in Ngkolmpu. It might be better to use a nonadjectival relative clause since presumably “The dog, who is big” can simply be rephased as “The big dog”. It might also be better to use a restrictive rather than parenthetical relative. Something like “The dog that bit he child ran away”.