[Lingtyp] Topic and focus markers with other functions

Frederick J Newmeyer fjn at uw.edu
Wed Jul 31 23:08:06 UTC 2019

Dear Lingtyp,

I am looking for examples where topic markers or focus markers in some
language are clearly members of some broad morphosyntactic category.

Let me give an example involving negatives of the sort of thing that I am
looking for. Negative elements in various languages are often members of a
broader category: in Estonian negative particles are auxiliaries, in Tongan
they are complement-taking verbs, in English they are adverbs, and so on.

So what I am looking for are parallel examples with topic and focus
markers: cases where a reasonable analysis would assign them to some
broader category.

Thanks,

Fritz

Frederick J. Newmeyer
Professor Emeritus, University of Washington
Adjunct Professor, U of British Columbia and Simon Fraser U