[Lingtyp] Deadline extended: Meaning in Flux 2019

Muye Zhang muye.zhang at yale.edu
Fri Jun 7 14:52:57 UTC 2019

**Deadline extended to Monday, June 17th, 2019**

Meaning in Flux 2019: Connecting development, variation, and change
Yale University, New Haven, CT
October 10th -12th, 2019

Description: The connections between meanings and the pronunciations through which they are linguistically conveyed vary systematically within a speech community and change systematically over time.  Many synchronic and diachronic patterns that instantiate such dynamics have been well described, yet the cognitive and communicative forces that support them—including their discourse-based, linguistic, conceptual, and cognitive components—remain poorly understood.  The focus of this conference is to bring together researchers working on one or more of these facets with the aim of connecting development, variation, and change.

We invite abstracts for talks at the intersection of semantics/pragmatics, information/discourse structure, phonetics/phonology (of spoken and signed languages), language variation, language change, and language and cognitive development.  We highly encourage submissions presenting in-progress results, covering not only connections between existing analyses and cognitively-grounded explanatory models but also the methodological challenges that arise.

Specifically, in this workshop we would like to address the following questions:
(a) to what extent are trajectories of meaning-pronunciation dynamics construable as dynamics that emerge from and are guided by real-time implementation of the architecture of language and the larger cognitive system?
(b) how are the actuation and propagation of these dynamics driven by discourse context and other communicative constraints?
(c) how are the causal relations between the arcs of acquisition/development and change in meaning-pronunciations informed by processing constraints?

We are planning this very much as a retreat, with discussion driven by foundational questions on meaning-pronunciation development, variation, and change, as well as the struggle of messy data.  We are seeking to bring together all kinds of perspectives on meaning and phonetics/phonology representation, as well as all experimental and empirical approaches, as exemplified by our invited speakers.

Confirmed invited speakers:
Susan Carey, Harvard U. Psychology
Herbert Clark, Stanford U. Psychology
Jennifer Cole, Northwestern U. Linguistics
Veneeta Dayal, Yale U. Linguistics
Joy Hirsch, Haskins Labs/Yale U. Psychiatry and Neurobiology

Deadline: 11:59 PM of your local time zone on Monday June 10th, Monday June 17th, 2019

Notification: Monday July 15th, 2019

Format: Two pages, 8.5” x 11” or A4, comprising text, figures, tables, references, etc., as needed.  Please maintain 1” margins on all sides, and use at least size 12 font. Abstracts should be headed by the title in bold, and should not contain any author information.Please submit your abstracts using the form at: http://tinyurl.com/meaningflux <http://tinyurl.com/meaningflux> and address any questions to meaninginflux at gmail.com <mailto:meaninginflux at gmail.com>.

Confirmed scientific committee:
Claire Bowern, Yale U. Linguistics
António Branco, U. of Lisbon Informatics
Kathryn Davidson, Harvard U. Linguistics
Ashwini Deo, The Ohio State U. Linguistics
Kathryn Franich, U. of Delaware Linguistics and Cognitive Science
Roberta Golinkoff, U. of Delaware Education/Psychology/Linguistics
Argyro Katsika, UC Santa Barbara Linguistics
María Mercedes Piñango, Yale U. Linguistics/Psychology
Jennie Pyers, Wellesley C. Psychology
Federico Rossano, UC San Diego Cognitive Science
Paula Rubio-Fernández, MIT Brain and Cognitive Sciences
Petra Schumacher, U. of Cologne German
Jason Shaw, Yale U. Linguistics
Heike Wiese, Humboldt U. Linguistics
Alan Yu, U. of Chicago Linguistics

Executive committee:
Martín Fuchs, Catalina Mourgues, María Mercedes Piñango, Jason Shaw, Jisu Sheen, Nanyan Wu, and Muye (Andy) Zhang

Organizing committee:
ExCom + Sarah Babinski, Randi Martinez, Joshua Phillips, and Kate Stanton