[Lingtyp] grammaticalized v grammaticized

MM Jocelyne Fernandez mmjocelynefern at gmail.com
Sun Jun 9 17:32:02 UTC 2019

Dear Paul,

In Frenchspeaking linguistic circles, a difference is generally made
between "grammaticalisation" and "grammaticisation": the second one is
reserved to those situations (rare in Europe but relatively frequent in
the world) where a language communication system changes from purely
oral to written style, typically after an orthography and the
accompanying means for preserving and teaching the language have been
adopted.

     I have found it adequate to analyse the effects of
"grammaticisation" while following during 40 years the typological
evolution of Northern Sami (a Northwestern Uralic language, nowadays
culturally European) after a unified orthography was adopted (and
effectively applied) in 1979, observing what André Martinet called
"synchronic dynamics",  and I would rather distinguish it from
"grammaticalisation"  based on older sources from a diachronical
perspective.

Best regards from Paris

M.M.Jocelyne Fernandez-Vest

Le 09/06/2019 à 16:27, Paul Hopper a écrit :

> In the Preface to the first edition of our book Grammaticalization
> (Cambridge UP 1993) we discussed our choice of the longer form as follows:
>
> "A word about the choice of the term “grammaticalization”. As we note
> in more detail in Chapter 2, the word seems to have been first used by
> Meillet (1912). In recent linguistics there is some variation between
> this word and the newer form “grammaticization”. In adhering to the
> older form of the word, we do not intend any theoretical point other
> than to maintain a continuity of terminology. We believe that a
> terminology can and should survive quite radical changes in the ways
> the terms that comprise it are understood by successive generations of
> scholars. Some linguists have told us that they avoid the longer term
> because “grammaticalization” could be understood as “entering the
> grammar of a language,” i.e., becoming “grammatical”.
> “Grammaticization”, by contrast, suggests a process whereby a form may
> become fixed and constrained without committing the linguist to a view
> of “grammar” as a fixed, bounded entity. A similar point is sometimes
> made in a different way: it is said that “grammaticalization” stresses
> the historical perspective on grammatical forms, while
> “grammaticization” focuses on the implications of continually changing
> categories and meanings for a synchronic view of language, thus
> placing the entire notion of synchrony into question. It is far from
> obvious that any such distinctions in usage exist between the two
> words, and our own choice does not reflect any particular theoretical
> position. We note that the titles of several recent major works
> contain the longer form “grammaticalization” (e.g., C. Lehmann 1985;
> Heine and Reh 1984; Traugott and Heine 1991; Heine, Claudi and
> Hünnemeyer 1991)."
>
>       I think by the time of the second edition (2003) we had
> concluded that the debate was no longer current, the form with -al
> having clearly prevailed. Surely we can agree that the two terms will
> exist amicably side by side, according to preference and with no
> valid claim of theoretical superiority on either side.
>

> - Paul

> Paul J. Hopper
>
> Paul Mellon Distinguished Professor Emeritus of Humanities
>
> Department of English
>
> Carnegie Mellon University
>
> Pittsburgh PA 15213, USA

M.M.Jocelyne FERNANDEZ-VEST