[Lingtyp] Query on sentential names/Satznamen

Broadwell,George Aaron broadwell at ufl.edu
Thu Jun 20 12:37:29 UTC 2019

Traditional Choctaw names for men were often based on some memorable event during war, e.g.

Falama-t abi  'Returns and kills'
Acha̱ka-t abi  'Kills next to it'.

The common Choctaw surname Tubby comes from the last two syllables of these names.

This system is described in Swanton (1931)
[reprinted as Swanton, J. (2001). Source material for the social and ceremonial life of the Choctaw Indians. University of Alabama Press.]

Modern Choctaws still do have personal names in Choctaw, but they are mostly not sentential, so far as I have recorded.  Some modern names are listed in my 2006 Choctaw grammar.

George Aaron Broadwell, broadwell at ufl.edu
Elling Eide Professor | University Term Professor (2018-2021)
Dept. of Anthropology, University of Florida
Turlington Hall, Room B364
PO Box 117305 Gainesville, FL 32611
352-294-7598
Copala Triqui dictionary: http://copalatriqui.webonary.org/