[Lingtyp] Re: A "Swadesh List" of Ideophone semantic categories

Dingemanse, Mark Mark.Dingemanse at mpi.nl
Wed Mar 20 14:49:56 UTC 2019

 (Hoping this reply to the digest ends up at the right thread.)

1.

Regarding Ian Joo's initial query about ideophone semantic categories, you might want to have a look at Samarin's work on West-African ideophone systems. They look a lot like the broad categories Guillaume posted before, and are likely to be useful beyond African languages. One doubt one may have about the ones published so far is that they are fairly top down and haphazard; one just has to compare Samarin's categories to those from his French contemporary Alexandre to see differences that say more about their respective metalanguages (English and French) than about the ideophone systems they're meant to capture. Perhaps the Concepticon can provide a way out here.

2.

Regarding the question of a cross-linguistic definition of ideophones, I agree with Jeff and Martin that ideophones seem special in that they are "easy to identify, but difficult to define" (as I wrote in my 2012 review). Nonetheless, the issues are not so different from those we've seen with many other major word classes, including fuzzy boundaries, diachronic diversions, and languages that seem to lack an instantiation of the category. A recurring temptation in this space is to take definitions intended for cross-linguistic comparison (comparative concepts) and require of them the precision offered by language-specific definitions (descriptive categories). The latter are always going to offer more precision, but they pay for this in lack of generalizability.

Hindi ideophones as described by Kellersman are clearly different from mots idéophonique in Bambara as defined by Dumestre, Japanese mimetics as defined by Akita, or Semelai expressives as defined by Kruspe. One reason all of these are different is that they are (quite sensibly) grammatical definitions rooted in language-specific facts. We need such language-specific grammatical definitions to do justice to the attested linguistic diversity.

But why stop there? For the comparative linguist a natural next question is to what extent these categories might be linkable to a common comparative concept that may help explain recurrent similarities across languages. Paraphrasing Dryer (1998), "when we do find such similarities, it is at least convenient to employ labels that have been employed for similar word classes". The term 'ideophone', understood as a typological notion, is just such a label.

One demonstration of the utility of this label is that it has helped to unify findings from disparate languages. For instance, we've pointed to remarkable convergence in morphosyntactic behaviour for ideophone-like categories in 10 disparate languages in our 2017 Journal of Linguistics paper, a finding that is directly related to their proposed definition as words depictive of sensory imagery, and that has since been replicated in Basque, Luhya, Amazonian Kichwa, and Wao Terero.

That said, I think the definition introduced in my 2012 paper can be improved upon. One formal feature I've recently proposed to add is that ideophones tend to be an open lexical class. This captures the ideophone systems of Basque, Japanese, Zulu, Siwu, Gbaya, etc, while excluding adjacent or orthogonal phenomena like phonaesthemes, depicting constructions in signed languages, and (in some languages) onomatopoeia. According to this revised comparative definition, a canonical ideophone is a member of an open lexical class of marked words that depict sensory imagery. It can no doubt be further sharpened and improved, but it captures 5 important dimensions of ideophone-like categories across languages and so allows for a more objective systematic comparative treatment of ideophones and adjacent phenomena than would be allowed by sticking only to language-specific descriptive categories.

I write about these matters in a forthcoming chapter on "'Ideophone' as a comparative concept" (happy to share the uncorrected proofs if you send me an email).

Best,

Mark Dingemanse

Refs cited:

Alexandre, Pierre. 1966. Préliminaire à une présentation des idéophones Bulu. In J. Lukas (ed.), Neue Afrikanische Studien, Hamburger Beiträge zur Afrika-Kunde, 9–28. Hamburg: Deutsches Institut für Afrika-Forschung.

Dingemanse, Mark & Kimi Akita. 2017. An inverse relation between expressiveness and grammatical integration: on the morphosyntactic typology of ideophones, with special reference to Japanese. Journal of Linguistics 53(3). 501–532. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1017/S002222671600030X

Dingemanse, Mark. 2019. ‘Ideophone’ as a comparative concept. In Kimi Akita & Prashant Pardeshi (eds.), Ideophones, Mimetics, Expressives, 13–34. Amsterdam: John Benjamins.

Dryer, Matthew S. 1997. Are grammatical relations universal? In Joan Bybee, John Haiman, & Sandra A. Thompson (eds.), Essays on Language Function and Language Type, 115–143. Amsterdam: John Benjamins.

Samarin, William J. 1965. Perspective on African ideophones. African Studies 24(2). 117–121.

Samarin, William J. 1967. Determining the meaning of ideophones. Journal of West African Languages 4(2). 35–41.