[Lingtyp] Loss of tone

Hiroto Uchihara uchihara at buffalo.edu
Fri Nov 8 13:02:35 UTC 2019

Dear Ian,

In addition to the Ratliffe paper, maybe you could look at these papers,
which talk about tone-loss:

Kaji, Shigeki. 2009. Tone and syntax in Rutooro, a toneless Bantu language
of Western Uganda, Language Sciences 31.2-3: 239-247.

Kaji, Shigeki. 2010. A Comparative Study of Tone of West Ugandan Bantu
Languages, with Particular Focus on the Tone Loss in Tooro. In Downing,
Laura, Annie Rialland, Jean-Marc Beltzung, Sophie Manus, Cédric Patin &
Kristina Riedel eds., Papers from the Workshop on Bantu Relative Clauses.
(ZAS Papers in Linguistics 53). Berlin: ZAS.

Lundberg, Grant & Tom Priestly. 2009. Pitch Opposition in Sele: Slovene
Tone Loss in Austrian Carinthia. Slovene Linguistic Studies 7: 3-28.

I also have a paper on this issue, where a tonal contrast has been replaced
with a phonation contrast:

Uchihara, Hiroto. 2016. Tone and registrogenesis in Quiaviní Zapotec.
Diachronica 33.2: 220-254. DOI: 10.1075/dia.33.2.03uch

Some Japanese dialects have lost pitch-accent, which could be thought of as
an instance of what you are looking for:

Zendo, Uwano. 2018. Accentual Neutralization in Japanese Dialects. In
Kubozono, Haruo & Mikio Giriko. 2018. Tonal Change and Neutralization. De
Gruyer Mouton. 129-155.

I hope this helps.
Hiroto

El vie., 8 de nov. de 2019 a la(s) 06:39, Rikker Dockum (
rikker.dockum at gmail.com) escribió:

> Hi Ian,
>
> The term “tonoexodus” was coined by Martha Ratliff (Ratliff 2015). In that
> paper she describes loss of lexical tone in clusters of atonal languages in
> Bantu and Atlantic, both in the otherwise tonal Niger-Congo family. The
> pathway is through reanalysis of a high frequency prominent tone as accent.
> And she describes another case of radical tone merger as a pathway to
> likely early stage tonoexodus in Nghe An Vietnamese. There are also many
> references you can follow up in there, too.
>
> Here is the paper:
>
> https://www.researchgate.net/publication/277816423_Tonoexodus_Tonogenesis_and_Tone_Change
>
> Best,
> Rikker Dockum
>

>> Rikker Dockum
> Visiting Assistant Professor
> Linguistics Department
> Swarthmore College
>
> On Fri, Nov 8, 2019 at 2:36 AM Joo, Ian <joo at shh.mpg.de> wrote:
>
>> Dear fellow typologists,
>>
>> Middle Korean had lexical tones, and they are well recorded in 15th
>> century Korean written in Hangul, but in contemporary Korean, they are lost.
>> Are there any other languages that experienced the loss of tone
>> (tonothanasia?) whose written history keeps track of this loss?
>> Or is Korean unique in this regard?
>>
>> From Jena, Germany,
>> Ian

Dr. Hiroto Uchihara
Seminario de Lenguas Indígenas
Instituto de Investigaciones Filológicas
Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México
Circuito Mario de la Cueva
Ciudad Universitaria, 04510, Ciudad de México.
Tel. Seminario:(+52)-(55)-5622-7489
Office: (+52)-(55)-5622-7250, Ext. 49223