[Lingtyp] languages without word level stress

Annika Tjuka mail at annikatjuka.com
Fri Oct 18 07:45:52 UTC 2019

Hi Adam,

Southern Vietnamese is  considered to have no word-level stress (see Brunelle, 2017). Nevertheless, the author also points out that there is  variation between speakers.

Brunelle, M. (2017). Stress and phrasal prominence in tone languages: The case of Southern Vietnamese. Journal of the International Phonetic Association, 47(3), 283-320. doi:10.1017/S0025100316000402

All the best,
Annika

---- Ein Do, 17 Okt 2019 15:44:35 +0200 TALLMAN Adam <Adam.TALLMAN at cnrs.fr> schrieb ----

Hey all,

This is just a query for sources.

I'm looking for languages that have been explicitly described as having no word-level stress. I was under the impression that this was fairly common, but apparently the existence of such languages (e.g. French) is controversial [?].

To be clear, I mean stress in Hyman's sense of a single culminative and obligatory marking of prominence.

(After that, I'm wondering whether there have been cases of languages that are described as containing neither word-level nor phrase-level stress in the same sense).

best,

Adam

Adam James Ross Tallman (PhD, UT Austin)

ELDP-SOAS
 -- Postdoctorante
 CNRS
 -- Dynamique Du Langage (UMR 5596)