[Lingtyp] Typographical means to signal gender inclusiveness

David Gil gil at shh.mpg.de
Thu Oct 24 10:38:43 UTC 2019

Sebastian,

Hebrew, using a non-Latin script (your question #6), has lots of such
usages.  Perhaps the most common one involves the slash (/). In the
following examples (from a quick google search), I use an improvised
Latin orthography to represent Hebrew graphemes; beneath each example I
show the two alternative spellings that are combined disjunctively into
one with the slash, masculine followed by feminine:

(1) ʕbd/t zr/h
     (a) ʕbd zr
     (b) ʕbdt zrh
     'foreign worker'

(2) ħbrym/wt
     (a) ħbrym
     (b) ħbrwt
     'friends'

The above two examples differ in the following way.  Whereas in (1) the
feminine spelling is formed additively, by adding a letter to the
masculine, in (2), the slash represents the fact that there are two
different plural suffixes in complementary distribution, masculine -ym
and feminine -wt.

Note that (1) illustrates noun-adjective agreement; other similar
examples might also involve verbs, or even prepositional phrases.

I suspect that in addition to the slash strategy, you'll probably find
other strategies, involving, among others, the hyphen and parentheses.
This seems to me like a huge topic, and the above comments just scratch
the surface of what can be found in Hebrew.

Best,

David