[Lingtyp] NEG not.know --> know

André Müller esperantist at gmail.com
Wed Sep 11 10:24:55 UTC 2019

Dear Ljuba,

That might have been *Greenlandic*. There is the verb ‘to not know’, which
is negated to express the notion ‘to know’. The following examples are from
West Greenlandic:

*Nalu–ara.*
not.know–1SG>3SG
‘I don't know him.’

*Nalu–nngila–ra.*
not.know–NEG–1SG>3SG
‘I know him.’

I don't know if this also happens in other related Eskimo-Aleut languages,
though.

Best wishes from Zurich,
— André Müller