[Lingtyp] Subject-verb inversion with transitive verbs

David Gil gil at shh.mpg.de
Sun Apr 12 22:03:41 UTC 2020

Dear all,

On 12/04/2020 16:22, Ernei Ribeiro wrote:

> (4) Are there languages without agreement and without case morphology
> on nouns that allow subject-verb inversion with transitive verbs?

Malay/Indonesian would be an example of such a language. For example, in
Jakarta Indonesian, a language without agreement or cae morphology, a
corpus study of two verbs, /beli/ 'buy' and /makan/ 'eat', found SVO
order in 88% and 94% of clauses containing both arguments, but also VOS
order in 7% and 2% of such clauses.

Conners, Thomas, John Bowden and David Gil (2015) "Valency Classes in
Jakarta Indonesian", in A. Malchukov and B. Comrie eds., /Valency
Classes in the World's Languages/, DeGruyter Mouton, Berlin, 941-986.

I suspect similar facts hold for lots of languages across western Indonesia.

David

--
David Gil

Senior Scientist (Associate)
Department of Linguistic and Cultural Evolution
Max Planck Institute for the Science of Human History
Kahlaische Strasse 10, 07745 Jena, Germany

Email: gil at shh.mpg.de
Mobile Phone (Israel): +972-556825895
Mobile Phone (Indonesia): +62-81344082091