[Lingtyp] predicative possession

Claude Hagège claude-hagege at wanadoo.fr
Thu Apr 23 17:50:58 UTC 2020

Dear all,

Predicative possession is studied in detail on pp. 49-50 of C. Hagège’s La structure des langues, 7th  ed., 2013. Among many others, the « type structured like “Your book exists” for ‘You have a book’ » (Randy La Polla) is illustrated there by Kečua and Aymara. Besides the type illustrated by many Pama-Nyungan (Australian) languages, i.e.  « Possessor is Possessed-ed(adjective-like suffix) »  or   « Possessor is Possessed-having », we also have a type structured like « Possessor his/her/its-Possessed », which is the structure we find in Guarani.

Best wishes

Claude