[Lingtyp] predicative possession

Françoise Rose francoise.rose at univ-lyon2.fr
Mon Apr 27 13:28:43 UTC 2020

Dear Serguey,
Maweti-Guarani languages express predicative possession without a verb or a copula. The nominal predicate has the same morphological structure than a possessed NP.
There are various syntactic analyses of this possessive predicative construction. Here are a few references.

Dietrich, Wolf. 2001. “Categorias Lexicais Nas Línguas Tupi-Guarani (Visão Comparativa).” In Des Noms et Des Verbes En Tupi-Guarani: État de La Question, edited by Francesc Queixalós, 21–37. München: LINCOM Europa.
Gerasimov, Dmitry. 2016. “Predicative Possession in Paraguayan Guaraní: Against the Zero Copula Hypothesis.” Presented at the Typology of Morphosyntactic Parameters 2016.
Meira, Sérgio. 2006. “Mawé Stative Verbs and Predicate Possession.” In Guaraní y “Mawetí-Tupí-Guaraní”. Estudios Históricos y Descriptivos Sobre Una Familia Lingüística de América Del Sur, edited by Haralambos Symeonidis and Wolf Dietrich, LT Verlag, 47–68. Berlin.
R     Rose, Françoise. 2002. “My Hammock = I Have a Hammock. Possessed Nouns Constituting Possessive Clauses in Emérillon (Tupi-Guarani).” In Línguas Indígenas Brasileiras. Fonologia, Gramática e História. Atas Do I Encontro Internacional Do GTLI Da ANPOLL, edited by Ana Suelly Cabral and Aryon Rodrigues, 1:392–402. Belem, Brésil: CNPQ & Universidade federal do Para.
Velazquez Castillo, Maura. 1996. The Grammar of Possession: Inalienability, Incorporation and Possessor Ascension in Guaraní. Studies in Language Companion Series. Amsterdam/Philadelphia: John Benjamins.
Vieira, M. 2000. “As Sentenças Possessivas Em Mbyá-Guarani : Evidência Para a Distinção Nome e Verbo.” In . Cayenne.

Best,
Françoise

Françoise ROSE
Directrice de Recherches 2ème classe, CNRS
Laboratoire Dynamique Du Langage (CNRS/Université Lyon2)
16 avenue Berthelot
69007 Lyon
FRANCE
(33)4 72 72 64 63