[Lingtyp] addressing the daughter as Mummy

David Gil gil at shh.mpg.de
Thu Aug 20 11:05:56 UTC 2020

As a footnote to Eitan's comments on Hebrew, I would add that the form
/mama-le/, with the Yiddish-origin diminutive, is used not only by
mothers addressing their children, but by extension also as an
affectionate address term to persons of any gender, age and parental
status (as I myself can attest to, as the occasional fortunate addressee).

On 20/08/2020 08:22, Eitan Grossman wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Modern Hebrew also has this phenomenon, e.g., /mami/ or /mama/ ('mom')
> and /abuya/ ('my father'). Its sources seem to be both Maghrebi
> Judeo-Arabic and Palestinian Arabic, but it also makes sense that it
> might also come from Kurdish via Neo-Aramaic. Interestingly, a common
> term is/aba-le/ (father-DIM), which takes a Yiddish-origin
> diminutive suffix on an Aramaic-origin noun, while the very use of the
> 'father' term for a child is patterned on Arabic.
>
> In Beduin Arabic of the Negev, these reversed kin terms are extremely
> extensive and seem to apply to pretty much any kin relationship.
> Henkin has written about this a lot, e.g., Ch 10 of her 2010. Negev
> Arabic: Dialectal, Sociolinguistic, and Stylistic Variation.
> Wiesbaden: Otto Harrassowitz. It's also worth checking out her work on
> cursing, which can involve what looks like 'self-cursing' due to the
> kinship term reversal.
>
> Eitan
>

> Eitan Grossman
> Associate Professor, Department of Linguistics
> Chair, Department of Linguistics
> Hebrew University of Jerusalem
> Tel: +972 2 588 3809
> Fax: +972 2 588 1224
>

> On Thu, Aug 20, 2020 at 7:27 AM Nino Amiridze <nino.amiridze at gmail.com
> <mailto:nino.amiridze at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Dear Sergey,
>
>     Georgian (Kartvelian) has the phenomenon. Young people may get
>     addressed by their older relatives by the term that refers to the
>     relatives themselves. For instance, if a grandmother addresses her
>     grandson (say, Giorgi), she may address him by uttering (a) or (b):
>
>     (a) giorgi, modi chemtan!
>     Giorgi, come to.me <http://to.me>
>     " Giorgi, come to me!"
>
>     or
>
>     (b) bebia/bebiko, modi chemtan!
>     grandmother/granny, come to me
>     Lit.: grandmother, come to me!
>     "Giorgi, come to me!"
>
>     This phenomenon is discussed in Boeder 1988
>     (http://www.staff.uni-oldenburg.de/winfried.boeder/download/52_Boeder_1988_Ueber_einige_Anredeformen_imKaukasus.pdf),
>     where he mentions similar cases in Lebanese Arabic described in
>     Ayoub 1964 and Southern Italian dialects by Spitzer 1928. In both
>     cases, the phenomenon is known from baby talk, when grown ups try
>     to lower themselves to the level of children. As a result, a role
>     substitution happens. Boeder brings Willis 1977 as a reference,
>     according to which the role substitution is an important play when
>     children and grown ups communicate in English baby talk.
>
>     For me, as a native Georgian speaker, the explanation does not
>     exactly make sense for Georgian. Rather, the address forms have
>     always been a shortened forms of affectionate formulas:
>
>     bebia [genacvalos / shemogevlos], modi chemtan!
>     grandmother [will.secrifice.herself.for.you], come to me
>     '"X, come to me" (where X is a name of a grandkid)
>
>     I wonder what other native speakers have to say about the role
> [...]

David Gil

Senior Scientist (Associate)
Department of Linguistic and Cultural Evolution
Max Planck Institute for the Science of Human History
Kahlaische Strasse 10, 07745 Jena, Germany

Email: gil at shh.mpg.de
Mobile Phone (Israel): +972-556825895
Mobile Phone (Indonesia): +62-81344082091