[Lingtyp] syntactic construction formula

JOO, Ian [Student] ian.joo at connect.polyu.hk
Sun Dec 20 10:54:09 UTC 2020

Dear Christian,

How about X{YC|CY}?

From Hong Kong,
Ian
On 20 Dec 2020, 6:23 PM +0800, Christian Lehmann , wrote:

Dear all,

Guillermo González Campos and I are garnishing our (future) Cabecar grammar with formulas of syntactic structure. Each representation layer (like "structural", "semantic", ...) is one-dimensional. The structural layer involves symbols representing significative components plus indexed brackets. Some constructions comprise a component C which is obligatory, but may occur in different positions. Sometimes a "basic" position may be identified, of which other positions are optional permutations. If so, I can provide a formula for the basic position and add a prose sentence on the variation. Now suppose there is no such basic position. A possibility of representing such a state of affairs is to provide a construction formula for each of the variants, like:

X C Y

X Y C

Rather space-consuming and less than elegant. Is there a notation which allows one to write something like

X C Y C

to mean that C can and must occupy either of the two positions? (Ordinary parentheses would not work, in my view, as they imply optionality.)

Thanks for advice,

Christian

--

Prof. em. Dr. Christian Lehmann
Rudolfstr. 4

Tel.:   +49/361/2113417
E-Post: christianw_lehmann at arcor.de<mailto:christianw_lehmann at arcor.de>
Web:    https://www.christianlehmann.eu
[https://www.polyu.edu.hk/emaildisclaimer/PolyU_Email_Signature.jpg]

Disclaimer:

This message (including any attachments) contains confidential information intended for a specific individual and purpose. If you are not the intended recipient, you should delete this message and notify the sender and The Hong Kong Polytechnic University (the University) immediately. Any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message, or the taking of any action based on it, is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.

The University specifically denies any responsibility for the accuracy or quality of information obtained through University E-mail Facilities. Any views and opinions expressed are only those of the author(s) and do not necessarily represent those of the University and the University accepts no liability whatsoever for any losses or damages incurred or caused to any party as a result of the use of such information.