[Lingtyp] Contrastive vowel and consonant length?

florian.matter at isw.unibe.ch florian.matter at isw.unibe.ch
Sun Dec 20 16:13:23 UTC 2020

Dear all,

is anybody aware of large-scale studies investigating the distribution of contrastive length in consonants and vowels? Preliminary analysis of phoible data tells me that there is an implicational tendency where if a language has contrastive length in consonants, it also has it in vowels. Are there studies supporting this? I’m also interested in literature on the geographical and genealogical distribution of contrastive length.

Best,
Florian

Universität Bern

Institut für Sprachwissenschaft