[Lingtyp] Contrastive vowel and consonant length?

Haig, Geoffrey geoffrey.haig at uni-bamberg.de
Mon Dec 21 08:56:48 UTC 2020

Exactly. If it's not difficult to produce these items, we might expect a length distinction with e.g. [m] to be among the more frequent examples of phonemic length distinctions among consonants in the languages of the world. Don't see a lot of evidence for it though. Or the production argument is not the whole story.
I guess one might consider a phonemic distinction between tap and trilled rhotic to be a length distinction, but not sure what the phoneticians say.

Prof. Dr. Geoffrey Haig
Lehrstuhl Allgemeine Sprachwissenschaft
Institut fuer Orientalistik
Universität Bamberg