[Lingtyp] Vocative markers expressing distance

Alice Gaby alice.gaby at monash.edu
Wed Feb 12 04:21:35 UTC 2020

Dear all,

My student (Alan Ray) is looking for examples of vocative markers
(morphological or otherwise) that express a distance distinction. For
example, in Wik Mungkan (Pama-Nyungan, Australia), there are three vocative
suffixes distinguishing proximal (-ang), medial (-(e)ey), and distal
addressees (-(o)oy):

kaath-ang
mother-VOC.PRX
'hey mother!'

nint-al-ey
2sg-PVS-VOC.MED
'hey you!'

niy-al-ooy
2pl-PVS-VOC.DST
'hey you!'

We'd be grateful for any pointers towards similar and/or relevant data from
other languages. So far, the only language we are aware of with a clearly
morphological/lexical (two-way) distance distinction is Kugu Nganhcara. But
Alan has found differences in stress, length, pitch, volume and/or vowel
lengthening or “distortion” correlating with addressee distance in
languages such as Arrernte, Kaytetye, Anmatyer, Wirangu, Nyigina,
Nunggubuyu and Mangarayi (all from Australia). Alan's work focuses on
Aboriginal languages of Australia, but we would be very interested to see
analogous examples from elsewhere.

I'll post a summary of responses to the list.

Thanks in advance!
Alice

--
Alice Gaby
Associate Professor of Linguistics and Applied Linguistics

Ph: +61 (0)3 9902 4169  |  Fax: +61 (0)3 9905-5437  |  E:
Alice.Gaby at monash.edu
Visit: W503, 20 Chancellors Walk (formerly: Menzies Building)
https://sites.google.com/monash.edu/alice-gaby

-----
I acknowledge the Elders (past, present, emerging) and owners of the
unceded lands on which Monash University operates.