[Lingtyp] Typological survey of pro-drop

Kristen Howell kphowell at uw.edu
Thu Feb 13 22:15:51 UTC 2020

Dear all,

Is anyone aware of a typological survey on argument optionality or pro-drop
cross linguistically. In particular, I am trying to find out what is the
most common way pro-drop occurs (or doesn't occur). For example:

-subject dropping does not occur
-subject dropping is only allowed for certain verbs
-subject dropping is allowed for any verb

And similarly for objects:
-object dropping does not occur
-object dropping is only allowed for certain verbs
-object dropping is allowed for any verb

I'd be grateful for any pointers to a survey which can answer this
question. I'm happy to take suggestions off list and will post a summary of
results.

Thanks in advance,
Kristen