[Lingtyp] Tensed and aspected languages

Sergey Lyosov sergelyosov at inbox.ru
Wed Feb 19 12:55:47 UTC 2020

Dear colleagues,
Which is now the most popular attitude towards the notion of Aspect? Do we believe that the genuine aspect is the contrast  accompli vs.  inaccompli within the same temporal domain (say, the Past)? Are there languages whose finite verb forms encode aspect, while the position of a situation vis-à-vis the speech time is expressed outside the verb form, - lexically, or via preverbs or other “particles”?
In the study of Semitic and other Afroasiatic languages (especially Egyptian) there has been an endless debate whether the basic meaning of finite verb forms in these languages is (relative) tense or aspect. In a review article of the recent publications in the field, I am trying to make sense of this debate.
Best wishes,

Sergey