[Lingtyp] Name this category

Françoise Rose francoise.rose at univ-lyon2.fr
Wed Jan 22 15:58:21 UTC 2020

Hi Scott, Micha, and LingTypers,
what Micha describes for Bagvalal is extremely common cross-linguistically. This is why in my typology of loci for categorical gender-indexicality I have distinguished a locus that I call “discourse markers” (with all the disadvantages of such a vague label), functionally distinct from the other loci such as phonology, morphology (generally about person/gender) and lexicon (for more details, see Rose, Françoise. 2015. “On Male and Female Speech and More. A Typology of Categorical Gender Indexicality in Indigenous South American Languages.” International Journal of American Linguistics 81 (4): 495–537. Send me a personal e-mail for a copy). But this is taking us away from Scott’s original question.
What is different about Basque, and apparently Telugu and Bodo, is that beside the gender-indexical function of the morphemes in questions, their “primary” function is not much discussed and is not given a label (hence Scott’s question). This is probably why descriptivists focus on their gender-indexical quality rather than on their relationship to register. This is not a phenomenon that I have observed in South America (see the paper mentioned above). Maybe people working on registers have consensual labels for the different variables. I don’t know about that.
Best,
Françoise