[Lingtyp] popular non-generative book

Bohnemeyer, Juergen jb77 at buffalo.edu
Fri Jan 24 01:05:05 UTC 2020

I’d add Terry Deacon’s (1997) The symbolic species, which sadly hasn’t been updated, but is otherwise an excellent antidote to Pinker’s nativism. And it’s a true pop-science book in the best sense.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Symbolic_Species

Juergen

> On Jan 23, 2020, at 7:00 PM, Daniel W. Hieber <dwhieb at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Dear Vladimir,
>
> All of the following may be of potential interest. Each of them is primarily functionalist in their orientation.
>
> 	• Deutscher, Guy. 2011. Through the language glass: Why the world looks different in other languages. Picador.
>
> 	• Evans, Nicholas. 2011. Dying words: Endangered languages and what they have to tell us. Wiley-Blackwell.
>
> 	• Evans, Vyvyan. 2014. The language myth: Why language is not an instinct. Cambridge.
>
> 	• Evans, Vyvyan. 2015. The crucible of language: How language and mind create meaning. Cambridge.
>
> 	• Everett, Daniel. 2012. Language: The cultural tool. Vintage.
>
> 	• Genetti, Carol (ed.). How languages work: An introduction to language and linguistics (2nd ed.). Cambridge.
>
> 	• Harrison, K. David. When languages die: The extinction of the world’s languages and the erosion of human knowledge. Oxford.
>
> Best,
>
> Danny
>

> Daniel W. Hieber
> Ph.D. Candidate in Linguistics
> University of California, Santa Barbara
> danielhieber.com

Juergen Bohnemeyer (He/Him)
Professor and Director of Graduate Studies
Department of Linguistics and Center for Cognitive Science
University at Buffalo

Office: 642 Baldy Hall, UB North Campus * Mailing address: 609 Baldy Hall, Buffalo, NY 14260
Phone: (716) 645 0127
Fax: (716) 645 3825 * Email: jb77 at buffalo.edu * Web: http://www.acsu.buffalo.edu/~jb77/

Office hours Tu/Th 3:30-4:30pm

There’s A Crack In Everything - That’s How The Light Gets In (Leonard Cohen)