[Lingtyp] Proto-World explains universals

Johanna Nichols johanna at berkeley.edu
Fri Jan 24 02:10:37 UTC 2020

The Toba eruption must have been very destructive, but if the claim
for a very low number of breeding pairs of early modern humans
post-Toba is based on genetic evidence, see this:

Premo, L. S. and Jean-Jacques Hublin. 2009. Culture, population
structure, and low genetic diversity in pleistocene hominins. PNAS
106:1.33–37.

where it's argued that low within-group diversity and high
between-group diversity (in both culture and fitness) keeps total
genetic diversity low because of occasional big sweeps by groups with
high fitness which undergo rapid fission.

Johanna