[Lingtyp] Resources on glossing choices

Christian Lehmann christian.lehmann at uni-erfurt.de
Fri Jan 24 17:15:56 UTC 2020

Dear Danny et al.,

let me briefly comment on one issue that is obviously controversial.
Some think that the basic principle of consistency of glossing requires
that there be a biunique mappingof morpheme to gloss. Others think that
the basic principle of transparency (viz. enabling the reader to grasp
the [morphological] structure of the glossed text) requires that the
gloss of a morpheme be context-dependent, i.e. that it show its specific
function in the particular grammatical context. We are, thus, faced with
a conflict between two well-motivated principles.

The primary purpose of a gloss is to represent the morpheme for a reader
who knows linguistics, but does not know the language. The notion of the
identity of morphemes presupposes, as I said in my previous message in
this thread (31/12/2019), a distinction between homonymy and polysemy.
The reader does not want the same gloss for homonymous morphs, nor does
she want the unity of a polysemous morpheme to be obfuscated by variant
glosses.

As everybody agrees, glosses fulfill a practical purpose. They
presuppose a theory and a methodology which precede them; and they
cannot possibly represent all the theoretical and methodological
decisions underlying them. The practical function includes their
context-dependency in a wider sense: the form of a useful gloss depends
partly on the kind of (metalinguistic) text that the glossed text is
embedded in. If the glossed text is an example in a grammar, then this
may contain the entire information concerning the morphemes and their
glosses, arranged in chapters on morphology and indices of morphemes,
glosses and terms. In such an environment, the requirement of
consistency becomes secondary, because the metalinguistic context
explains what each gloss means. If, on the contrary, there is, in the
metalinguistic context of the glossed text, no grammatical comment, then
the glosses and the index of glosses are the only clue the reader has to
the identity of morphemes. Making glosses context-dependent in such an
environment means misleading the reader about the identity of morphemes.
Which contradicts the primary purpose of the gloss. In such an
environment, I submit, glosses should be consistent, i.e. unique for
each morpheme.

Best,

Christian

--