[Lingtyp] Ironic negative constructions

Mark Donohue mhdonohue at gmail.com
Sat Jan 25 06:28:59 UTC 2020

Dear all,

A variant of this, in a sense the opposite, is found in Tukang Besi
(Austronesian, central Indonesia). We might call an ironic positive, in
that the verb is not marked for negation in any normal sense, but the
predicate can be taken to be negated.

General non-imperative verbal clauses take agreement, as in (1) and (2).

Normal declarative
(1) ku-wila-mo
     1SG-go-PF
     'I went.'

(2) ku-dahani
     1SG-know
     'I know.'

Negation can be symmetrical, with a preverbal negator in this VOS language.

Negative declarative
(3) mbeaka ku-wila-mo
     NEG      1SG-go-PF
     'I didn't go.'

(4) mbeaka ku-dahani
     NEG      1SG-know
     'I don't know.'

There is a speech style, that establishes camaraderie between the speaker
and the interlocutor, in which the (penultimate) accented syllable is
lengthened, and the verb is not affixed for agreement, with a non-overt 1SG
subject. (This prosody is not found with other speech acts.)

Ironic positive
(5) wiíla
     go<!>
     'As if I went!'
     'I certainly didn't go!'

(6) dahaáni
     know<!>
     'Like I would know!'
     'I don't know anything!'

Imperatives (only possible with agentive S or A) are another speech act
without agreement, but without the prosody found with the ironic positive.

Imperative
(7) wila!
     go
     'Go!'

(8) * dahani!
        know
        'Know!'

The ironic positive is rarely found in utterances longer than a single word
(the verb), but every now and then it comes up, in which case the marker of
ironic positive is on the final foot.

Declarative
(9) ku-manga te         ndawu            mokaha
      1SG-eat   CORE pumpkin.soup spicy/salty
      'I ate spicy pumpkin soup.'

Imperative
(10) manga te         ndawu             mokaha!
        eat       CORE pumpkin.soup spicy/salty
       'Eat the spicy pumpkin soup!'

Ironic positive
(11) manga te         ndawu               mokaáha!
        eat       CORE pumpkin.soup   spicy/salty<!>
       'Like I would eat the spicy pumpkin soup!'
       'I don't ever eat spicy pumpkin soup!'

Also, unlike imperatives and regular clauses, agreement for P is not
possible with this set of speech acts.

Declarative
(12) ku-manga-'e na      ndawu.
        1SG-eat-3    NOM pumpkin.soup