[Lingtyp] Loanwords tend to have more uncommon phonemes?

Ian Maddieson ianm at berkeley.edu
Fri Jan 31 15:43:38 UTC 2020

You might also take a look at my paper:
Maddieson, I. 1986. Borrowed sounds. In The Fergusonian Impact Vol.1: From Phonology to Society (ed. J.A. Fishman et al.). Mouton de Gruyter, Berlin.

The main finding there is that borrowed sounds are mostly ones that fit into slots generated by features already in use
in the acquiring language.

Ian

> On Jan 31, 2020, at 07:17, Joo, Ian <joo at shh.mpg.de> wrote:
>
> Dear all,
>
> I would like to know if there are any sources that demonstrate that loanwords tend to have a larger number of rare, uncommon sounds as opposed to native words.
> My intuition tells me that this is true, but I’ve yet to find any source that makes a general typological claim on this.
> I would greatly appreciate your help.
>
> From Jena,
> Ian

Ian Maddieson