[Lingtyp] lit review: prosodic phonology and morphosyntactic structure

Adam James Ross Tallman ajrtallman at utexas.edu
Wed Jun 3 10:06:58 UTC 2020

Hello all,

I've been doing a lit. review (again) in prosodic phonology. Advocates of
the prosodic hierarchy claim that prosodic levels map from specific
morphosyntactic constituents like 'words' or 'phrases' or X0 and XP etc.

However, I have been unable to find a single example of a paper that
relates its analysis to the prosodic hierarchy that actually provides
evidence for or defines the morphosyntactic categories that the prosodic
domains relate to in the language under study.

Of course, the fact that no evidence or definitions for X0 / XP and the
like are provided does not mean there is no evidence - but the "phonology
evidence only please" character of the literature makes it very difficult
to come up with global assessment of how the quest for mapping rules has
faired (the discussion in Scheer 2010 suggests it has been a total failure)
or to distill some sort of testable hypothesis from the literature. I'm
wondering if anyone has any examples at hand where such categories are
provided with explicit empirical definitions. Perhaps this is just an
oversight on my part.

best,

Adam

--