[Lingtyp] questions about adverbs

fleischhauer at phil-fak.uni-duesseldorf.de fleischhauer at phil-fak.uni-duesseldorf.de
Thu Jun 18 05:07:29 UTC 2020

Dear Aminata,

I analyze expressions similar to those you mentioned from Wolof as
intensifiers/degree adverbs
(https://www.academia.edu/25454456/Degree_Gradation_of_Verbs). Why do
you think that the Wolof intensifiers do not intensify the verb? You
might have a look at my thesis (link below), there I present an
analyse of verb gradation/intensification that might be helpful for
the analysis of your data.

It is not uncommon that that certain intensifiers/degree adverbs are
restricted to specific verbs. Some German verbs, for example, take the
degree adverb 'sehr' (very):  'Der Hund stinkt sehr' (The dog really
stinks, lit. The dog stinks very). Others do not license 'sehr' but
require others intensifiers like 'viel': 'Das Buch kostet viel' (The
book costs a lot, lit. The book costs much). English is also a good
example of a language showing lexical variation with respect to the
choice of intensifiers/degree adverbs. Of course, the restrictions you
mention seem to be much stricter than those we observe in German or
English.

Best,
Jens

--
Dr. Jens Helfer-Fleischhauer
Vertretungsprofessur für Linguistik
e-mail: fleischhauer at phil.uni-duesseldorf.de
https://www.phil-fak.uni-duesseldorf.de/asw/personal/jens-fleischhauer/
tel.: +49-211-81-10717; fax: +49-211-81-11325