[Lingtyp] languages of scholarship

Jorge Rosés Labrada jrosesla at ualberta.ca
Fri Jun 26 20:11:59 UTC 2020

Martin invites us to think "about the way academia is organized" and "[w]hy
is it the case that people who write in small languages have fewer chances
to get good jobs?" while pointing out that "linguists will hardly get good
jobs unless they write in a big language."

I agree that we do need to be thinking about the way academia operates and
especially the changes and attacks it is currently undergoing
(casualization of labour, budget cuts, increased fees for the arts and
humanities, predatory publishing companies, and many more) but I want to
point out that we all (and especially the senior academics on this list)
have some agency in hiring, funding, and publication decisions so when we
serve on hiring or funding committees or serve as reviewers for a funding
agency or a tenure case or sit on editorial boards, we should all be
thinking about what work gets accepted/rewarded/promoted and what barriers
prevent wider inclusion/representation and, importantly, how we can
dismantle those barriers.

Best,
Jorge
-------------
Jorge Emilio Rosés Labrada
Assistant Professor, Indigenous Language Sustainability

4-22 Assiniboia Hall
Department of Linguistics, University of Alberta
Tel: (+1) 780-492-5698
Email: jrosesla at ualberta.ca

*The University of Alberta acknowledges that we are located on Treaty 6
territory, **and respects the history, languages, and cultures of the First
Nations, Métis, Inuit, *
*and all First Peoples of Canada, whose presence continues to enrich our
institution.*