[Lingtyp] orthography in formatted examples

Hartmut Haberland hartmut at ruc.dk
Thu Mar 26 08:11:04 UTC 2020

In CA orthodoxy, capital letters are anathema, probably because you cannot hear them, which leads to absurdities like this one I picked from a paper:

4       CLA: <r:ob •:ert? ((english pronunciation))>

5       BET:            •<robert ((french pronunciation))>

i.e. with the adjectives ’English’ and ‘French’ written with small initial letters.
But while even the most orthodox would distinguish
the book was read all over
from
the book was red all over
(although you cannot hear the difference), they would write
she arrived in reading reading a book
where you actually can hear the difference between Reading and reading!
Hartmut Haberland